The WorkCover Victoria scheme means WorkSafe give money and support to people who
- get hurt at work
- lose money because they are hurt and cannot work.
WorkSafe is an organisation that is (supposed) to keep workplaces safe and help people who get hurt at work.
Some people with long term injuries said they did not get the right support from WorkSafe.
Long term injuries mean:
- a person is hurt for a long time and
- a person might need medical care for a long time and
- a person cannot work and make money fora long time.
The Victorian Ombudsman checked if WorkSafe Vic did a good job to help people who got long term injuries at work.
WorkSafe use 5 agents to manage the scheme. Agents help WorkSafe decide who gets money and support from the WorkCover scheme. Agents did not always help people with long term injuries.
Some agents made bad decisions. For example, agents
- did not let people get money and support when they were supposed to.
- told workers with long term injuries off for not going back to work. This was not fair.
- did not fix their bad decisions when injured workers asked them to
WorkSafe did not make agents do the right thing.
What is going to happen next regarding WorkSafe VIC and its agents
The Victorian Ombudsman said she will help WorkSafe make the WorkCover scheme fair for everyone. We asked the Victorian government to
- think about better ways to manage the WorkCover scheme
- see if agents or someone else should manage claims of people with long term injuries
- look for ways to fix bad decisions so that people do not have to
- go to court
- spend lots of money.
The Victorian ombudsman also gave WorkSafe 13 ways they could do a better job.
WorkSafe and the government agreed to do all the things the Vic Ombudsman said.
You can tell the Victorian ombudsman if you are not happy about the way WorkSafe or one of their agents treated you. For more information contact the Victorian Ombudsman
Call 03 9613 6222