Just about every more seriously injured worker will have learned that the workcover insurance companies are a greed-driven industry, which means that workcover agents will always look for ways to minimise the extent of injured workers’ injuries, and will often flat out lie too.
*** Work in progress *** Check for regular updates ***
Workcover insurer dirty tactics, IME tricks, workcover traps
In this section, we have and are compiling a list of the biggest, dirtiest, cunningest tricks and tactics used by workcover agents and their allies (eg. independent medical doctors, rehabbers, case managers etc).
Feel free to submit any dirty workcover tip, trick, trap or tactic! You can submit any workcover related trick, trap, tactic in the comment form below, or by contacting us.
1. IME – independent medical examination – IME Doctor Tricks and Traps
IME Doctor Trick: checking shoes for uneven wear
IME Doctor Trick: checking hands for calluses
IME Doctor Trick: checking upper body strength
IME Doctor Trick: The IME doctor and his/her staff will watch you the whole time
IME Doctor Trick: The IME doctor may have a private investigator around
IME Doctor Trick: The IME doctor is looking for exaggeration and will use distraction
IME Doctor Trick: IME doctor will ask fast, seemingly innocent questions
IME Doctor Trick: IME doctor will make the injured worker volunteer irrelevant information
IME Doctor Trick: IME Psychiatrists will make you sing like a canary
IME Doctor Trick: IME doctor will drop you or a body part
IME Doctor Tricks: IME shrink will blame all on pre-existing or past experiences
The Workcover IME starts in the parking lot
IME Doctor Trick: distraction
IME Doctor Trick: disdainful, belittlement, bizarre body language etc
2. Workcover case manager – tips and tricks
Workcover Case Manager Tricks
Workcover Case Manager Trick: they will pretend to be your friend
Workcover Case Manager Trick: they will not return calls or emails deliberately
Workcover Case Manager told us doctors not licensed
You don't have to cooperate with workcover nurse case manager
Workcover Case Manager Trick: require IME doctor to rely on selective information
Workcover Case Manager Tricks: misuse surveillance
Workcover Case Manager Trick: not telling IME doctors about your job
3. Workcover Surveillance – tips and tricks
Workcover Surveillance Traps and Tips
Workcover Surveillance Tip: Pretend you don’t know they are filming you
Workcover Surveillance Trick: They will often call you to verify your ID
Workcover Surveillance Trick: Drop money near injured worker car or footpath
Workcover Surveillance Trick: Let air out of car tire
Workcover Surveillance Trick: Pretend to be an injured worker at IME
Workcover Surveillance Trick: Looking at your social media postings
Workcover Surveillance Tricks: asking neighbours to film you
Workcover Surveillance Trick: GPS tracker to car
Public security cameras are used by workcover private investigators
Workcover insurers dowload entire Facebook sites
Workcover Surveillance Trick: Geo tagging of social media photos and videos
Workcover Insurers will scour the internet
- Pictures: If any of the pictures or videos you post somehow contradict your claims or can be misinterpreted, this could seriously affect your workcover claim.
- People: Your friends or followers on social media will also help the workcover insurance company learn more about who you spend time with and who you are friends with for example at work. This can provide better ideas on who they should interview re your activities.
- Hobbies: Did you post about how you enjoy participating in a sport or other physicall activities (eg. fishing) If so, you can expect the workcover insurer to find out about it. They might even try to attend a game or club to obtain a video of you engaging in these activities, effectively making you seem dishonest.
- Timeline: Your posts on social media have a timestamp and, therefore, provide an excellent timeline for the workcover insurance companies. Eg. if you claim unable to work due to your work injury, but photos you posted on social media show that you were at a party that day, your claim will be irreparably damaged.
Workcover Surveillance - anybody could be a paid snitch
Workcover Surveillance Trick - stage car break down
Workcover Surveillance Tip: Holiday periods
Workcover Surveillance trick: using MP3 or headphones which are video cameras
Workcover Surveillance Tip: golf!
Workcover Surveillance Tip: Car maintenance
Workcover Surveillance Trick: hiding in a box
Workcover Surveillance trick - nighbours and staging minor car accident
Workcover Surveillance Trick: Toolbox with hidden camera - vending machine
Workcover Surveillance trick - re-recording footage via mirror
Workcover Surveillance Trick: you are not safe using a fake social media account